The two biggest obstacles to getting your daily exercise are time and space. But if you can solve the space problem, you can typically find the time. Meaning, if you don’t have to drive to the gym, you can do the workout right now, right where you are!
This workout requires one dumbbell, but don’t worry if you don’t actually have one. A lot of people have dumbbells at home, you can easily find them in a hotel gym, or you can simply fill a milk jug with water (or use your one full of milk if you’re fast enough to get it back in the refrigerator before it’s warm!).
Using only one dumbbell not only makes it easier to acquire the necessary equipment, but it asks your body to do some special work. Loading weight on only one side of your body at a time engages your core in a way that two dumbbells does not. A strong core will help prevent low-back pain and a host of other issues.
Watch the video for detailed instructions on how to do the workout and the movements correctly.
The One-Dumbbell Anytime Anywhere Workout
5 rounds for time:
- Dumbbell shoulder press x 5 reps on each side (10 reps total)
- Bent-over row x 5 reps on each side (10 reps total)
- Dumbbell lunge x 5 reps on each side (10 reps total)
Remember that “for time” does not exclude using excellent form to perform these exercises. Go at a speed that fits your ability level and does not sacrifice technique. Good technique prevents injuries.
How to adjust for your fitness level:
- Use a heavier or lighter dumbbell
- Adjust the range of motion on the lunge
- Beginner trainees can rest between rounds
- Advanced trainees can do 7 or 10 rounds