Lentils are good for you in so many ways — they’re rich in protein, high in fiber, and a great source of various vitamins and minerals. As a stand-alone dish, they rate highly on the nutritional scale, but add a few other ingredients such as fresh ginger, turmeric, carrots, and fruits, and you get a powerful anti-inflammatory bowl of healing goodness.
That’s exactly what this lentil porridge recipe delivers, and it’s also a nice “sweet” change from the usual savory type of lentil recipe.
Naturally Sweet and Healing Lentil Porridge
This lentil porridge recipe delivers a lot of nutrition, and it’s also a nice “sweet” change from the usual savory type of lentil recipe.
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons stevia
- 1/2 tsp organic coconut extract
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mango pieces
- 1 small carrot cut into chunks
- Large chunk of fresh ginger cut in half
- Rinse lentils and put into a rice cooker. (If you don’t have a rice cooker, don’t worry — see the note below.)
In a blender, add 1/2 cup of water, the frozen banana, mango pieces, carrot chunks, stevia, and ginger. Pulse to a nice smooth consistency.
- Add this mixture to the lentils, then pour over the remaining 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, almond milk, and coconut extract. Stir until well combined. Add a little more water if necessary.
- Turn the rice cooker to the “porridge” setting and push the “cook” button.
- Once the porridge is cooked, serve with a little unsweetened coconut and some chopped walnuts, and almond milk if desired.
If you do not have a rice cooker, you can still make this dish! Just cook it on the stove-top. Bring the mixture to boiling, then turn down to a low simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes.