I’ve been trying to cook vegan lately and, let me tell you, it’s not easy! I am already used to planning ahead, but vegan meals take a lot more planning if you don’t want to eat a ton of carbs.
Recently, I found a recipe online for jackfruit crab cakes. This recipe includes no actual crab and the cakes are instead made with this versatile and increasingly popular fruit. I was intrigued and decided to try it out.
If you aren’t familiar with jackfruit, it is commonly used in Southeast Asian cuisine and is even the “national fruit” of both Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Its meat-like texture has made it popular around the world among vegetarians and vegans. It can be found fresh in larger cities, but most of us are more likely to find it canned.
I updated the original recipe that I found to make it gluten free and compliant for the Whole Life Challenge. And you know what? It’s really good! I hope you enjoy it, too.
Jackfruit Crab Cakes (Without Any Crab)
If you don’t eat seafood (or simply don’t like paying the extra expense for it), try these “crab” cakes made with jackfruit instead.
- 1 can young green jackfruit drained, rinsed, and dried
- 2 Tbs flax seed mixed with water let sit for 10 minutes so it gets thicker
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- 4 Tbs scallions chopped green and white parts
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup almond flour or almond meal or any other kind of nut flour
- In a large bowl, mix all the seasonings and the prepared jackfruit together.
- Form into cakes and add a little more flour if they are too wet.
- Place in the fridge for about an hour so they firm up.
- If you are baking, place the cakes on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes. Then flip and bake another 10 minutes.
- If you are frying, coat a non-stick pan with enough oil to coat the pan. Heat over a medium flame and fry the cakes for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Add more oil if necessary and fry on the other side for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite yogurt or hot sauce.