This recipe is just another amazing way cauliflower can be transformed into just about anything — in this case, a delicious cauliflower bread that can hold up as a grilled sandwich.
One of the keys to this cauliflower bread recipe is to start by ricing your cauliflower in a food processor, combining the rice in a bowl with sea salt, and letting it sit for twenty minutes. This will draw out the moisture so you can firmly wring out the cauliflower with a dish towel to make it as dry as possible. If you buy pre-made riced cauliflower you can skip this step.
After you form the cauliflower into squares and bake it, you will have a delicious bread you can use for just about anything you can use regular bread. It’s a great bread substitute for anyone eliminating grains or if you’re eating low-carb or keto.
I decided to make a simple avocado and tomato grilled cauliflower bread sandwich. And, let me tell you, this sandwich satisfied my craving for a grilled cheese — and was a lot more filling and healthy. I loved how simple this bread was to make, and I’m already thinking of different ways I can use it.
Grilled Avocado, Tomato, and Cauliflower Bread Sandwich
This cauliflower bread sandwich satisfied my craving for a grilled cheese — and was a lot more filling and healthy.
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp butter or ghee
- 2 ripe avocados mashed
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the riced cauliflower and sea salt. Allow to sit for 20 minutes.
- Use a clean kitchen towel to wring out the cauliflower to remove the moisture. (If using store bought cauliflower, you can skip removing the moisture because it is typically dry.)
- Return the cauliflower to the mixing bowl and add the eggs, almond flour, and black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Scoop 1 cup of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and form into a square, about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining mixture to create 4 slices total.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then cool at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Grease a skillet with butter, ghee, or fat of choice and melt over medium heat.
- While the pan heats, smear a slice of cauliflower bread with mashed avocado, a couple slices of tomato, and top with another slice of cauliflower bread.
- Add the sandwich to the hot skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes a side, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining bread and serve hot.