Sometimes it is just too hot to cook a big meal.
Or your main dish is complicated enough that you need something simple to go alongside it that you can prepare ahead of time.
Or you swear you would eat your veggies if only there was something that was both easy-to-make and tasted fun that you could pack in your lunches.
If this sounds like you some days (or most days — there’s nothing unreasonable about any of these thoughts!), then you need to try this delicious beet, fennel, apple, and carrot salad.
The flavors are far more fun than your average side salad. And you can even make it into a meal all by itself if you add chicken, shrimp, or your favorite healthy protein of choice.
Beet, Fennel, Apple, and Carrot Salad
- 2 Tbsp olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 large cooked beet diced
- 1 cup fennel sliced thinly
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 small carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or your choice of nuts or seeds toasted
- 3 dried figs (with no sugar added) chopped small
- 3/4 lb mixed greens
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
In a small frying pan, heat up the 2 Tbps olive oil.
Add in the prepared apples and fennel. Saute until wilted. Let cool.
Place the mixed greens in a very large bowl.
Top with beets, cooked apples and fennel, carrots, almonds, and figs.
Drizzle on oil and lemon juice, sprinkle with salt, and toss.
- Serve immediately after dressing the salad.